This state-protected national monument is one of the scarcest and most remarkable natural phenomenons in Slovakia. It was discovered by a mining engineer E. Ruffinyi and his fellows on July 15, 1870. Already in 1871 it was open to public. In 1887 it was the first cave in Europe with electric lighting.
The entrance into the cave is situated in the northern slope of the Duča hill at the height of 969,5 m. The length of the cave reaches 1232 m. Going from the entrance aperture the rooms of the cave successively descend which together with the cave´s orientation to the north allows the cold air in winter to fall down and thus to cool off the inside rooms. In summer, on the other hand, the warmer air (is lighter) cannot get into the cave, and therefore the average temperature inside stays bellow 0°C the whole year.
The rooms of the cave iced up by repeating this cycle for many centuries. The rich decoration contains monuments mainly designed by the air-flow. The whole ice capacity is estimated to approximately 110 000 m3.
AVAILABLE SERVICES: hotels, pensions, private accommodation, public camping, cottages, restaurants, buffets and ski-tows.
ACCESS: By train from Banská Bystrica or Margecany. By bus from Poprad through Vernár, or from Spišská Nová Ves through Dedinky.
SURROUNDINGS: Ostrá skala (Sharp rock), Stratená and Havrania Skala (Raven Rock) hills.